FSM Job Description – Public Relations Manager
At FSM, the PR Manager is the main point of contact for a portfolio of client partners that have engaged FSM to manage and shift their reputation and perception with their audience. The position is responsible for moving the relationship forward, including growing the relationship, building strategies that meet defined client goals, reviewing reporting, billing, managing day-to-day client requests, and other duties that ensure the success of FSM clients. The position reports to the Director of Accounts.
FSM’s ideal PR Account Manager must have:
- Communications First Responder. You see a crisis, big or small, as an opportunity to build trust and clearly communicate the story. You are ready to jump in and see the situation through to a resolution.
- Top-Notch Communications Skills. You’re not just a good writer and speaker, you are good at asking questions, getting the entire story, listening, capturing ideas, presenting, and applying those skills to shift perception.
- Command of Marketing Communications. You have led campaigns and marketing and communications initiatives either on the client side or the agency side – you have a complete understanding of the marketing communications landscape.
- Listen to client challenges and develop messaging and PR solutions
- Navigate client issues with a focus on partnership
- Write press releases, statements, social media posts, and other public-facing communications
- Leverage social media, ad campaigns, etc. to attack core client issues
- Create and implement solutions to help drive a positive perception of the client
- Prepare and present strategies, creative work, ideas, media plans, etc. at client meetings
- Daily and weekly client interaction; lead calls, meetings, and weekly updates within FSM’s standards
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to produce effective communications ideas and materials, jump in to help with production when the situation requires urgency and timeliness
- Develop realistic plans, action steps, and timetables for projects and assignments
- Finalize monthly client billing
- Provide strategic counsel to clients on PR and overall perception
- Build relationships with key media organizations and outlets, including speaking with them on a client’s behalf
- Analyzing and reporting on press coverage
- Developing news angles, stories, and pitches to further the client’s profile, products, and services
Measure: Shifting perception of the client within their community of influence/target audience.
- Proven experience in managing multiple client relationships, achieving internal and external goals
- Effective organization and time management skills; impeccable written and phone communication skills
- Knowledge of leading-edge advertising, marketing, and technology trends
- Experience with news media (traditional) and social media (modern) communications platforms
- Knowledge and experience in social media, community management, search marketing, and other modern digital platforms and tools
- Knowledge of metrics and reporting
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize time/workload and delegate work in order to accomplish tasks and meet deadlines
- Self-starter who thrives in a rapidly-changing environment
- High-energy team spirit with a dedication to team success and commitment to agency excellence
- Media aware, business savvy
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in PR, marketing, communications, business, or related field
- 5+ years of marketing and communications experience in a PR / agency environment (additional experience on the client side is strongly considered)
- Market knowledge and media contacts are a plus
Qualified candidates should submit writing and/or creative samples and examples of work as part of the interview process.